Thursday, July 19, 2007

I Feel Weird

Wow. I just saw Gary Granada. Yes. The music legend himself. Friday feels weird. It means weekend is just a beat away but it also means that Monday is just a couple of pensive beats away.

Anyway , last night I finished the book Educating Peter by Tom Cox. If you don't like preachy tomes that deals with life then you'll find this piece interesting. I hope that local bookstores are also selling Cox's other boooks especially his first one, Nice Jumper. It's about golf. Sure it 's boring even if Tiger Woods pumps his fists with his every shot BUT it's a difficult sport. I studied it once and whew. You should try golf driving. Difficult very difficult.

Since I feel weird, let's talk about taxi drivers. They are a weird bunch. So far I encountered cab drivers who are either 1) a political analyst 2) a dangerous multi-tasker and 3) a credible replacement for Bayani Fernando. The rest, preferred to keep a silent mien during the ride.

The taxi driver/political analyst has been driving since the 1970s and was originally from Bicol. When I told him that I would be going to the Team Chiz headquarters, he became quite excited and started giving me his more than two cents worth of election analysis. He made it clear that he will vote for his Bicolano compatriot so I know that this will be a fun trip. You should have heard him dissect the winning chances of Tito Sotto and Tessie Oreta like a mad surgeon while we were passing the QC Circle. He was delightful. Here was an ordinary taxi driver who is so into the national affairs of the country. Listening to him instantly dispel the statistical myths of the present administration 's economic team.

It's a good thing that the trip was short. I will never forget that ride. I am not meticulous with speed. Slow or fast, I'll take it. Does that sound sexy? Anyway, ever rode a cab in which the driver is talking to his phone and driving at top speed while the latest Andrew E CD is blasting off your senses? I had. Basically, I was the one driving without a steering wheel since I would constantly remind him to turn left or right. Amazing. I'm still alive.


I met our Bayani Fernando replacement on 16th of December 2006. Hah! I remember. Why? I was on my way to receive my 2bU surprise which is (without my knowledge) meeting Francis Escudero in the flesh. Going back to our cabbie - well - he makes a lot of sense. He said that in order to curb traffic problems, the government should only allow 2 vehicles per family. Very sensible. It's true. The bulk of private vehicles in the Metro is the main reason for the terrible trafic that we experience daily.

The next time you ride a taxi and the driver starts talking, listen and converse.

But if you meet the Dangerous Multi-tasker...find another cab...unless he looks like a young Robert De Niro.

No comments: